•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: heater not working

Still love my daily driver Pickles's Avatar
      Thanks

heater not working

So, my heater fan stopped working. What happened was I started the car one day with it set to 3. Was working fine. Turn it down to 2 completely shuts off. Also rear defrost and air circulatory light turn off. Go to work and worry about it, then I leave ans it is fine. Wtf. It is now 3 days later, and it quit again. When the fan is set to off the defrost and air circulation light on the buttons works. When I turn the fan on, the lights dim and it doesn't turn on, and the button lights shut off. I checked every fuse and relay, and all the wires going to the controls. Is this something a warranty repair? I think my car is still under warranty. Or is it a simple fix I can do at home? Any help would be great, it's freaking cold out

Edit: when I say the lights dim, I mean the dome lights, the lights on the buttons shut off completely

Last edited by Pickles; 10-13-2012 at 03:30 AM.

What do you mean there's no turbo? Chevy Customer Svc's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Pickles View Post
      So, my heater fan stopped working. What happened was I started the car one day with it set to 3. Was working fine. Turn it down to 2 completely shuts off. Also rear defrost and air circulatory light turn off. Go to work and worry about it, then I leave ans it is fine. Wtf. It is now 3 days later, and it quit again. When the fan is set to off the defrost and air circulation light on the buttons works. When I turn the fan on, the lights dim and it doesn't turn on, and the button lights shut off. I checked every fuse and relay, and all the wires going to the controls. Is this something a warranty repair? I think my car is still under warranty. Or is it a simple fix I can do at home? Any help would be great, it's freaking cold out

Edit: when I say the lights dim, I mean the dome lights, the lights on the buttons shut off completely
      Sorry to hear this. Have you been to your Chevy dealership for a diagnosis? If you would like to private message me your VIN, I can check to see what warranty coverages you have, any special coverages or if there are any open recalls on your vehicle.

Look forward to your reply.

Vanessa
      GM Customer Service
      Don't forget to check out my.chevrolet.com link and take advantage of a wealth of vehicle information!

For information on the GM Privacy Statement, please visit http://www.gm.com/privacy-statement.html

Thanks
      I have an appointment for later this week, I just hope its covered. And sending pm now

Thanks
      Apparently my scan gauge is an "aftermarket performance computer chip" so it would be $300 just to look at the car, even though it is under warranty. **** that, I'm pissed

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      its most likely the relay or the fan resistor. but your description makes me question the whole "lights shut off" thing, as it might be a bad ground or power supply.

Thanks
      How would I check the resistor? And the relays are good, there is one for hi and one for low, and they are both fine

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

Same issue

Hey, I have a 2009 Aveo5 and I have the same issue with the heater. It will randomly work and not work. I don't have the light dimming issue though. The heater thing is a pain though. what could be the reason?

Thanks
      Hey Pickles did you ever manage to fix this problem? I have a 2010 sedan and my fan just stopped working. I was in the line for Taco Bell and it turned it down to hear the speaker. With it completely off it was still blowing on low and then it quit working. I am assuming its a ground fault, but I have not checked the relay's or circuit breakers. My A/C toggle does not turn on as well and opening the fuse box showed no sign of corrosion or water damage from the snow. Please let me know if you found anything out. (Tomorrow's going to be a cold and foggy ride through Detroit.)

Thanks
      The dealer replaced the whole heater itself. Something about a resistor pack inside. I think its a somewhat problem for 2010. Another user on here said his whole heater was replaced when he took it to the dealer, and that wasn't his problem (don't remember who it was)

Thanks
      I am going to tear my car apart either tomorrow or Sunday. I will take pictures and notes. I found the resistor block at Autozone for 35 bucks so hopefully it won't be that bad. Its not just my heater. The A/C toggle switch, which looking at the schematic is connected to the fan switch and my low beam is not working.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast