•  

Thread: New member, another A/C question!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

New member, another A/C question!!

I have a 2007 aveo that started blowing warm air. Found the schrader valve was leaking on the low port. Replaced it, put a vacuum on the system for an hour at 30inHg, then waited an hour for any leaks and the vacuum held. Went to recharge it and now it's still not blowing cold. My high port is only getting to about 90psi, but my low port is at 60psi, it was 90 degrees outside today. I'm thinking either the compressor or the expansion valve?? Anything I'm missing? Any recommendations?? My AC clutch is engaging and disengaging. Radiator is cooling. Electric fan is working, is there multiple speeds?

Lifetime owner
      Thanks
      does the system stay on or cycle? How much did you put back into the system? I added the AC option to my car with mostly junk yard parts. When I pulled a vacuum and charged it with whatever was in the book, it didn't work very well. I ended up just putting one of those "top off" cans on a shelf to it and adding more chart until the vent blew cold. If i was to guess I added about 5-6 more oz. Which worked well. No further issues.

I would say try that before replacing any parts. If it doesn't work, you will be sucking the system down anyhow and recharging it. And a $10 can of top off AC refrigerant is better than buying either of those parts.

Thanks
      It cycles on but never kicks off with the AC on max. It only took half a can over a 15-20 min period. It got to the point where it wasn't taking anymore. My low port pressure was higher than it should be. The system was sucked down so it was empty. I believe it takes 35oz of freon.

Thanks
      Went out this afternoon and got a new expansion valve and compressor. Pulled the old valve out and no metal or debris, installed the new one. Pulling a vacuum on it now. Will check for leak down in a bit and try some freon and see if it was the valve or not. If it isn't will this the compressor on it and hope that works. If not I'm gonna be trading it in for another mustang lol.

Thanks
      Unfortunately it must be the compressor. No vacuum leaks but I can only get about 100psi on the high side and the low side is still running higher than it should. Have to get some PAG oil in the morning and suck it down again and switch compressors.

Thanks
      Little update. Switched out compressors this afternoon. Took about an hour and a half, but the car was at operating temp and it was a 95 degree day, was using welding gloves and slowed me down. Seems to have fixed my problem. Low side reading about 40psi and high side about 180psi. But only took about 1.5 cans of freon. Will drive it a couple of days then recheck my fittings and my pressures again.