•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Poor Idol & Stalling 2005 aveo - what could be the problem?

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      I have two 2005 Aveos, one stick one automatic, both had this problem, would not stay running on idle but perfectly fine when driving on higher RPMs, no check engine codes. Long story short both cars were fixed with a new MAP sensor that sits on top front of intake manifold with a 7 inch hose attached to it. Swapped the sensors both run perfect, problem has never returned. Part was $65 @ autozone

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by opavik View Post
      I have two 2005 Aveos, one stick one automatic, both had this problem, would not stay running on idle but perfectly fine when driving on higher RPMs, no check engine codes. Long story short both cars were fixed with a new MAP sensor that sits on top front of intake manifold with a 7 inch hose attached to it. Swapped the sensors both run perfect, problem has never returned. Part was $65 @ autozone
      Did you inspect the factory MAP hoses, as described in post #10? That hose has been reported as a solution multiple times in prior threads, but I don't recall a MAP sensor replacement fixing one of these problems very often (if at all).

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by avguy View Post
      Did you inspect the factory MAP hoses, as described in post #10? That hose has been reported as a solution multiple times in prior threads, but I don't recall a MAP sensor replacement fixing one of these problems very often (if at all).
      So i guess ill tell the whole story. So october 2015 i bought a wrecked, red, manual 2005 chevy aveo. Car had 129000 miles on it. I needed a work vehicle with low operating cost, i got this one for $600 off Copart thru a friend. After fees and parts total cost was round $1000 road ready. (I do all my own car maintenance other than alignment). I drive on average 60000 to 80000 miles per year for work alone. As cheap as it was in 5 month car paid for itself. Car runs great so in April 2016 i buy another one, also a wrecked one but it was only 400 bucks so why not.. this one was white, had 100000 miles, automatic and was an LT, so the nicer one of these. I didnt need a fifth vehicle but i bought it to fix it up and sell it maybe. I fixed it, had it painted and never sold it so its been sitting ready to go ever since. figure if my red one breaks down i'll have a spare. So thats how i have two Aveos. Both cars ran great. And around July my manual red aveo at this point having around 150000 miles on it started acting up. Idled poorly ond would shut off at red lights, but was perfectly fine when i reved it up a bit, i didnt start tearing things apart right away because i figured it was just a vacuum hose, check engine was not on and its manual so keeping RPMs above idle was not that big of a deal, it was annoying but bearable. So after a week or so of this, i got tired of it and popped the hood. Before i looked for any advice online i tried to figure it out on my own, my first suspect was vacuum hoses, just based on what the car was doing. I took off and checked every hose i could find. Found by the fire wall attached to one of those vac cilinder things it was sucking air so i fixed that and thought i fixed it. It helped but car still shut off at red lights and the problem did not go away. I checked all hoses two more times and was stumped. I prayed about it, started the car and started unplugging sensors to see if engine ran different when i unplugged something. That didnt really get me anywhere..or so i thought at first. Obviously check engine came on. I gave up, kept driving the car to work. Couple days later i had tho code read and they told me it was the map sensor. I realize that the only reason that the code came up was cuz i unplugged the sensor while car was running but i attribute that idea to devine intervention. Praise the Lord. Luckily i had my white Aveo sittind at home all ready to go so what did i do? I took the MAP sensor off the white one and put it in the red one that wouldnt idle. And hallelujah car still runs perfect 35000 miles later. White aveo has been sitting al this time. It wasnt until two weeks ago when was gonna drive my white aveo to work when i got in it started it and remembered that it had the bad sensor in it because i stalled right away and kept stalling everytime i let go off the gas. Went to autozone bought new MAP sensor, plugged it in, runs like new. So yea, i AM sure its the MAP sensor, i had two cars to try it with. Same year but completely different configuration. My red, manual, aveo now has 187000 miles, kinda hoping to hit 200000 by end of year but probably now gonna happen, work been kinda slow lately. No problems yet with either car. Just got new tires. ..
      hope this helps someone.

Thanks
      I am from New Delhi India and not sure if i am welcome to this forum which could be for perhaps US or Europe residents. I have an Aveo 1.4 LT Petrol car of 2010 done 73000 km. This car may have been assembled in India, not sure but only recently for last 2 month i started having problem of it getting stopped randomly. First time i was told the fuel pump as gone bad so I replaced it since i was frequently driving till the last few litres of gas (just to find out the milage it is giving). After the fuel pump again it dropped RPM and by pressing on accelerator somehow i reached home. I was told by GM workshop to go for scanning by Tech2 which gave no codes. Again car drove fine for few days then again stopped midway and i had to get it towed by crane to workshop. As per the recommended GM schedule the car has been serviced and replaced with necessary parts like spark plugs with connectors, timing etc. (60K)
      Now i got a MAP sensor installed on their advise but today again it dropped RPM in morning but afternoon it came back home fine.
      I am at a loss since it is frustrating and i am scared to drive it on long distances far from home.
      Pl guide me to the correct topic group.
      regards pradeep

Thanks
      If it's only shutting off in idle or low RPMs it's most likely a vacuum issue, map sensor is a part of that system and if you already replaced that then check all vacuum hoses for cracks/breaks. If you're stalling as you're driving (above 1000 RPMs, take of your intake manifold (just the rubber hose part) and see if it's not torn in half on the bottom, that would definitely cause an intermittent stalling problem. Every Aveo I had, had the intake torn in half when i bought it, can't see it from the top though.

Thanks
      thank you sir, can you advise where this intake manifold may be placed, with a picture please; i will check and replace it. Car had this RPM drop problem on sunday morning going to church about 12 km away, but in afternoon came back without any issue. I was scared to drive on monday so took my bike to office, but today had to go long, so with hesitation i started and went about my work doing about 90 km, and tell you what it drove smoothly to & fro as if nothing had happened.

Thanks
      is that so simple, can you please guide with any picture or video if possible as the workshop of GM here in New Delhi India charges about $ 35 for this job. I am not sure if this is normal charge in your city.

Thanks

intake

Name:  20161214_162155.jpg
Views: 1123
Size:  286.6 KB
      Yours might look a little different, since it's 2010 but just look for the fattest hose under the hood, goes to your air filter.
      I'm not saying it IS, I'm saying it MIGHT be the problem.

Thanks
      thank you sir, so far last 2 days car is running lovely. No stalling or RPM dropping.

Thanks
      Nena same problem here... did u get it fixed?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast