•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: power loss

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: power loss

and yes, other than the kn air filter, it's all stock.

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Cool thread!!!

My 06 Aveo has had the High humidity / Cold weather hesitation problem since it was new.

Dealer never figured it out. It's never thrown a CEL though. Just one time when I left the car running during a fill-up.

Thanks for the tips, I'm gonna try them right away. Hope it helps. I'd like to find out more on the TSB for this..

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triviasteve
      my problems have been occurring since 50,000 miles on the car. I've replaced the throttle body twice since then. I like the idea of another trap. I may put some cheese cloth in the air intake to see how dirty that's getting.

I can't definitively say, but I do believe the ethanol gas is a contributing factor to the problem.
      hmm you should go out and check out that hose, check if its dirty on the inside if you have the time, i wonder if something like the ethanol is condensing somewhere and going into the hose lol

something crazy is going on lol

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by triviasteve
      It's happened to my 06 as well. Several times.

Here's the likely problem. The throttle body is covered with gunk, causing whatever sensor to "stick" in the position it was in. If you're driving your car, shift into neutral and shut it off, wait a few seconds and restart. This should reset the sensor so you can at least drive it home safely.

Get a can of throttle body cleaner and a very soft bristled toothbrush. Remove the air intake and you'll see a butterfly valve on the throttle body. Carefully push it open and insert something to hold the throttle body open without damaging the butterfly valve. You can wipe your finger inside and I guarantee it will be covered with crud.

Spray the throttle body cleaner in there fairly liberally, and brush it out with the toothbrush. You'll spend a few minutes cleaning the top side and the bottom side, but it will help for a few days/weeks.

This is a monthly maintenance thing for me.

I will be replacing the fuel filter soon, thinking that that might be part of my problem, and I've also noticed that running non-ethanol gas definitely helps.

I hope that helps.

/2006 aveo with 192,000 miles
      Dude thank you for this post!!!
      I did this today and it worked awesome. Mine did have a sticky plate with a ton of built up gunk.
      I used some gumout carb cleaner and a paper towel cleaned it all up.
      It ran awesome! No stumbling like usual! thanks!!

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

You're welcome. That is a delicate piece of equipment, though. I really wish you'd have used the soft bristle toothbrush and throttle body cleaner instead of gumout... I don't know if that will cause any problems down the road, but I'm not really interested in taking any additional chances.

Yesterday, driving home, mine started to overheat. I ran the hot air blowing on me until I could pull over and check out what was going on. Out of coolant (and I just had the timing belt/water pump replaced in February!). Filled up the reservoir and noticed a drip drip drip.

I just heard there was a plastic piece on the radiator that should be replaced with a metal piece, but I need to check to see if the 06 has metal or plastic. Dunno now, but I'll check in the morning. In the meantime, I'm traveling with 2 gallons of coolant until I can make it back home to the mechanic to check it out. I have a feeling I'm in for another expensive repair...

Banned
      Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Twitch008
      On Saturday I was driving home from work, like a 5 min drive, I turned a corner into an uphill and my aveo suddenly suffered a severe power loss and the check engine light came on. I was able to limp home through back alleys though. It almost felt like the clutch went and the engine was bucking slightly. The rpms would go up but the car wouldn't move very well. After sitting for an hour or two it started and ran fine for a trip around the block.

This morning I drove it to work, no problems, and the check engine light went off at the gas station. Ran an OBD scan (I work at a garage) and all the codes came back as some sort of throttle body malfunction or a computer error. Anybody else experience this? And is it an issue that's likely to recur?
      sounds like what happened with my girlfriend's 1998 Oldsmobile Intrigue GL before the engine blew. It would occasionally buck and stall after experiencing a loss of power. A mechanic told us it was the car adjusting to the new fuel pump and fuel lines (LOL). Then about a week after this started, a connecting rod shot through the oil pan while another connecting rod SHATTERED inside the 3.8L pushrod V6. I'd have it checked ASAP.
      Here's the connecting rod that shot through the oil pan.

- 1995 Chevrolet Monte Carlo Z34 - LQ1 3.4L DOHC 24 valve semi-hemi V6, 210 HP, 215 ft-lbs of torque, 4T60e 4 speed automatic with O/D.... 123,000+ miles. Slowly resto-modding it.
      - looking for a first gen Aveo for a daily driver :D

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12