•  
    Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: When to replace Timing Belt

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Chevy Customer Svc View Post
      After checking 2008 Owner's Manual it suggests 60K miles changing the Timing Belt; and 2011 Aveo Owner's Manual suggests 100K miles changing the Timing Belt. I will pass along your feedback regarding making the maintenance schedule easier to interpret. Thank you for being a Chevy customer.

Vanessa,
      GM Customer Service
      I have a serious question. Honestly. Since it seems you work for Chevy, and answer questions here, I can ask you this, maybe I will find out my answer finally! WHY do all we 'early owners, 2006 or earlier, have to replace the timing belt and water pump and all the other parts along with it, at 60K miles. YET 1 model year later, you manage to get it up to 100K miles? WHY/HOW??? So we get screwed much earlier than everyone that bought there car 1 model year later. It's the same engine, so whats the difference in the belt/water pump etc...that my 2006 HAS to be replaced, at MY expense, no help from Chevy at all, is there is some 'poor engine construction problem', well of course there is,...but what is it and why doesnt Chevy pay for the replacement or at least help pay for it???? They obviously know something is built wrong in these engines. So what is it ???
      Why must it be replaced 40K miles sooner than 1 model year later??

Does Chevy have a TSB out someplace, saying they will pay for it, or help to pay for it to be replaced at least one time? It is a HUGE cost for a cheap car! In my entire life of owning 25+ cars/trucks, I have NEVER heard of EVER having to even replace the timing belt. But then it is usually a CHAIN, not a rubber belt. But we all have to replace it in this tiny little engine, I know it is planned obsolescence, but what is the difference between my 2006 engine and a 2007 engine, that makes it break at 60K miles, instead of 100K miles? I honestly want to know.

And I only have 35K miles on my 2006 Aveo HB.. Do I have to replace it NOW or not? No one knows the answer! Not my dealer, not customer service, no one. So at 9.5 years does my 2006 with only 35K miles on it. Do I HAVE to replace it now....for TIME,not miles...or not? I am worried to the point I drive it even less, for fear the belt will snap and my engine is damaged/dead!

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      I have a serious question. Honestly. Since it seems you work for Chevy, and answer questions here, I can ask you this, maybe I will find out my answer finally! WHY do all we 'early owners, 2006 or earlier, have to replace the timing belt and water pump and all the other parts along with it, at 60K miles. YET 1 model year later, you manage to get it up to 100K miles? WHY/HOW??? So we get screwed much earlier than everyone that bought there car 1 model year later. It's the same engine, so whats the difference in the belt/water pump etc...that my 2006 HAS to be replaced, at MY expense, no help from Chevy at all, is there is some 'poor engine construction problem', well of course there is,...but what is it and why doesnt Chevy pay for the replacement or at least help pay for it???? They obviously know something is built wrong in these engines. So what is it ???

Does Chevy have a TSB out someplace, saying they will pay for it, or help to pay for it to be replaced at least one time? It is a HUGE cost for a cheap car! In my entire life of owning 25+ cars/trucks, I have NEVER heard of EVER having to even replace the timing belt. But then it is usually a CHAIN, not a rubber belt. But we all have to replace it in this tiny little engine, I know it is planned obsolescence, but what is the difference between my 2006 engine and a 2007 engine, that makes it break at 60K miles, instead of 100K miles? I honestly want to know.

And I only have 35K miles on my 2006 Aveo HB.. Do I have to replace it NOW or not? No one knows the answer! Not my dealer, not customer service, no one. So at 9.5 years does my 2006 with only 35K miles on it. Do I HAVE to replace it now....for TIME,not miles...or not? I am worried to the point I drive it even less, for fear the belt will snap and my engine is damaged/dead!
      The service interval changed in the 09+ model year (2nd gen) to 100k. 08 and earlier are still 50k-60k.

And the US engine DID change in 09 to the Ecotec whereas the 08 and prior used the E-tec 2. The most noticeable change, that might partially explain the interval change, was that the water pump was removed from the timing belt loop and placed on the serpentine/accessory belt.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to EAD15 For This Useful Post:

MetroMPG (10-21-2015)

What do you mean there's no turbo? FlaAveo5's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by EAD15 View Post
      The service interval changed in the 09+ model year (2nd gen) to 100k. 08 and earlier are still 50k-60k.

And the US engine DID change in 09 to the Ecotec whereas the 08 and prior used the E-tec 2. The most noticeable change, that might partially explain the interval change, was that the water pump was removed from the timing belt loop and placed on the serpentine/accessory belt.
      The plastic cover that is covering me engine says on it ' E-TEC II 16V', Not 'EcoTec' so that means it is the 60K mile engine? I ALWAYS thought it was called an 'Ecotec 16V' engine. So I have the crappy one...right?

BTW, i might as well ask you and anyone that sees his post/replies,....with only 33K miles on my engine, thought I was at 35K....is it TIME or MILEAGE that determines the replacement?? Do you or anyone know??. I posted a LONG reply/question to the Chevy lady that is in here...Victoria? And flat out asked why 'we' owners of the same engine on earlier models, get screwed out of that 100K mile replacement ,why doesnt Chevy give us a 1 time replacement of the belt and pump,etc...with maybe upgraded parts, or even the same poor designed parts, or extend the warranty on the belt/water pump till 100K .Waiting to hear if she will EVER reply. I know it will be "NO you get screwed haha!"
      But i asked. So...do you or anyone know about the TIME VS. MILEAGE replacement issue that is on my mind all the time?
      Last edited by FlaAveo5; 10-21-2015 at 05:34 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Best all ways be to change a Cam belt 10.00km before the manual of 60.000km and replace crank cambelt sprocket as well it wheres out and can let the cambelt jump teeth beding valves

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Phillippus View Post
      Best all ways be to change a Cam belt 10.00km before the manual of 60.000km and replace crank cambelt sprocket as well it wheres out and can let the cambelt jump teeth beding valves
      I don't agree with what you wrote there, but as with all forums everyone is entitled to express their opinion.

Thanks
      Sorry for typo its 10.000km before 60.000km reason motor company does not build motor to last for ever. Ihave change mine and now 430.000km on the clock

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post

A TSB for what? Its states in the owner's manual it should be replaced at 60k miles. If the owners manual stated 100k and a high percentage of timing belts snapped at 60k, I can see your argument. But you are arguing non-sense.

And yes, I much rather have a timing chain that I've had on every other vehicle I owned, but timing BELTS are not something new either.

You have to do the research before you buy a car.
      2004 Aveo beater car
      2005 Aveo LT. 5-speed beater car (DOA)

Thanks
      I dont work for chev I got all my vechile traing from my brother got his own garge when I was still in school and millitary training.
      I agree with you unfortuned nobody give a warrenty / garantee on how long their belt can last. My second belt broke after 3000km lucky for me when it idle.So if there is a manufaturer to give the garantee for 100.000 I will buy that belt and pay little more. When opening the the top cover of the belt you can check how much the belt work if you look the outside will be shiny showing where the teeth are and on the inside tooth busy to pull apart. With my car I did find the cam belt sprocket on the grankshaft has worn aswell on the teeth and the keyway worn meaning your timing marks move.
      When my car was still under warranty before every service I mark all components thats needed to be replace reason they check and adjust spark plugs, I put on a fight to get my spares replaced.
      If they did design the motor with a timming chain that would have been excellent.
      But help me if I am wrong Chev bougth out DAYWOO thats where the AVEO came from Chielo

Thanks
      This belt life change is not specific to the Aveos, I just did a belt on a Subaru EJ22 setup, and same thing 60K miles for early models, and 90K for later models. I know Suzuki's were around the same. Honda's are 7 years or 90K, some push them past 100K. Oh and yes they do break! Nothing like blowing 5K on a rig worth $2500 for a timing belt? Nothing new. Would be nice if they engineered a timing set that could go 100K though, even if it cost a bit more. I guess the heat from the water pump is not the best for rubber life.

Thanks
      I agree maybe some keflar in cambelts can prolong life

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast