•  

Thread: 07 Aveo5 TPS question vs Throttle Body replacement

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

07 Aveo5 TPS question vs Throttle Body replacement

I have an 07 Aveo5 --basic model

The TPS is bad.(engine light has been intermittenly coming on and the codes said it was the TPS)

I've researched agressively for weeks about what is the best solution to fix this problem.

I've discovered when searching for a TPS for an 07 the TPS isn't sold seperate from the Throttle Body.
      And when searching for a 06 TPS it shows as just the TPS for an 06-07.

So my question is: will replacing the TPS with the 06-07 TPS work or do I HAVE to change out the whole Throttle Body to fix this problem on the 07 model?

I've called shops and dealers to see what they could tell me and all of them except one said I needed to change the whole throttle body.
      I want to see if I can get feedback from others who have had this issue and IF just replacing the TPS with the 06-07 TPS part works?

I hate the idea of paying $50 for just the TPS and then have to turn around and dish out another $250 for the whole throttle body because just replacing the TPS didn't fix the issue.

Please advise!?

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      On my 06, they had to change the complete throttle body, they couldn't get the TPS by itself. Did you try cleaning the throttle body first? Some reports on here seem to indicate that it could fix the issue.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by ontarian_frog View Post
      On my 06, they had to change the complete throttle body, they couldn't get the TPS by itself. Did you try cleaning the throttle body first? Some reports on here seem to indicate that it could fix the issue.
      I've read practically every posting about the TPS on here and too have noticed many say to just clean it.
      I looked at the TPS and TBody last night and the TPS is on the Body with two screws and a 3-pin plug on the side. It appears I should be able to just swap out the TPS but most mechanics I've called on the phone say I need to change out the whole Throttle body.

I want to know if I use the 06 TPS part (which says for the 06-07 models) will it work or will the threads or part be the wrong size for the 07. None of the auto parts stores can find a 07 model TPS without it being the whole throttle body.

I'm thinking I could just swap the part with the 06 to get by having to purchase a $200+ TBody but would like to know if anyone else has done what I would like to do and had it work successfully.

I know sometimes there are ways around fixing vehicles that aren't specified. (I think this is a scam so the auto industry can make money off of making people replace a whole unit instead of a specific small part on a larger part.

Thanks
      I think I still have the throttle body off of my 07 engine that I put in my 05. I'll see if I can remove it and I'll take some pictures for you.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You should also look for part numbers on it, I might be able to cross it to a generic part. I doubt the TPS was specifically made for this application only.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      This weekend I changed the oil and filter, replaced the air filter (the air box was half full of leaves--WTH?), replaced the spark plugs and wires and took off the air cleaner hose and cleaned the end of the throttle body but couldn't figure out how to open the butterfly. There was no throttle like on the older vehicles to open it so I just cleaned the end and reconnected everything.

The first spark plug (starting on the left) was dripping wet-I know this is not right. The other 3 were ok. Is this something I should be concerned about this? I'm assuming it may be caused by the plug being loose?

Ontarian_Frog -- I took a picture of the numbers on the TPS so maybe you could cross match a aftermarket TPS so I don't have to change out the throttle body. I'll get the numbers tonight send them to you (post them).

Is it posible to take the throttle body off the car and clean it out? I tried to find a exploded view of this engine and couldn't find anything for the 07 except a little basic stuff on AllData . com at the library. I called around to find a Hayes or Chilton book on this car and I kept hearing it hasn't been created and both companys are behind on their repair manuals.

I'm frustrated after spending 6 hrs by myself maintenancing and figuring out how to do all of this with no help from someone that knows mechanics. I don't have the money to take it into a shop and pay for the labor and parts that may not be necessary to replace so the repair shop can rake me.

I'm thinking I should go have it tested again to see if the same code comes up.

I'll keep it and add a turbo Aveo5_boy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by MultifacetedFemale View Post
      The first spark plug (starting on the left) was dripping wet-I know this is not right. The other 3 were ok. Is this something I should be concerned about this? I'm assuming it may be caused by the plug being loose?
      Oil in the sparkplug wells is nothing to freak out about but you will have to replace the valve cover gasket as that is the most likely the cause of oil on the plugs. It is a simple job that even a car dummy like me was able to do without a hitch.
      Last edited by Aveo5_boy; 10-02-2012 at 06:06 PM.

Thanks
      Name:  Fall 2012 026.jpg
Views: 2920
Size:  208.4 KBHere's the number on the TPS. Why the hell doesn't Chevy make a replacement part. Ugh.