•  

Thread: My clutch seems to be binding 2004 chevy aveo

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks

My clutch seems to be binding 2004 chevy aveo

I can push my clutch down but its really hard to push. Once it is down it sticks and I have to pull it up by sticking my foot underneath but it will pop back up. Can anyone give me a heads up what might be causing this before I take it in for repairs and they rape me pricewise cause I'm a female.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Sounds like it might be a bent clutch fork lever, but that's just a guess. You need to ask people you know which shop they recommend. Be aware that auto repairs are often big $$. But a good, honest shop will not pad the bill, regardless of your gender, or anything else for that matter. If they have to drop the transmission, you're probably starting at $300 or so and going up from there, depending on the specific repair.

Lifetime owner
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks
      You will first need to tell if the problem is just in the pedal, or if it is in the transmission (i.e. fork).

An "easy" way to do this is to operate the pedal while not running and and feel for the bind, once it binds, climb under the dash and see if it has something to do with the pedal. (visually look at it while you move it up). The clutch fork is most likely the other culprit, but you should also check the slave cylinder is good, it operates like the brake system and needs fluid and bled properly. This is not an easy learning on thing to bleed. but if your fluid level is low, try adding some.

If the clutch fork is bent, I would assume it would make some noise, and or not release if the clutch is not spinning (car running). So if you listen at the bell housing while trying to release the clutch (again the car is not running, you will need a second person here) and get the clutch to release and listen for a clunk or a pop. Clutches make a little noise naturally, but you need to listen for something out of the ordinary. The clutch fork is right there as well, I don't think you could turn it by hand, but if you notice, the ram the pushed the fork, that could be binding too.. you would have to disassemble the thing so see if it is sticking.

Of course there is a strong possibility you will not find the issue if it is not running. But as a mechanic, I can't tell you a simple way to diagnose it while running with potential that someone can get run over.
      Last edited by petrified.rabbit; 08-06-2014 at 12:55 PM.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      Thank you very much for your help