•  
    Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: command start... anyone put one in?.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Re: command start... anyone put one in?.

Quote Originally Posted by AveoRob
      Quote Originally Posted by ClintCart
      Quote Originally Posted by mikedudley17
      holy crap, keep it up and then make a how to and put in the how to section!!!!

Still workin' on it, I'll post all the pics (good ones) I can, I damn near ripped the whole dash off today but then comon sence kicked in.
      When you are done making connections, I would wrap your harnesses and wires with good quality electrical tape and maybe some wire loom. That will give it a factory look, no one will be able to tell just by looking under the dash..
      Already done
      went out and bought a new multi meter today also.
      http://www.canadiantire.ca/browse/produ ... 74#reviews

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty
      1973 VW Bug. Full resto. summer toy.

Thanks

This is driving me nucking futs! . I know I must have hooked one or more of the wires to the wrong spot.
      I tested for tach today and at idle it's at 1 volt or a touch over and as I rev it up the volts (AC) increase.
      but I press the button on the side of the unit to learn tach and it does nothing, I can get it to click the relays signaling it's in or out of valet mode, but then it tells me I have the key in the ignition... and i don't.
      If anyone it willing to talk to me on the phone I'd gradly call them (Anywhere in Canada or the US).
      Or just post if you know what I'm doing wrong. I need a drink but I can't I gotta go work 12 hours of night shift now, but I log on here at work too.

Oh yeah, my tach wire is connected to the white wire at the coil.

06' Aveo
      07' Liberty

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

Clint,

You cannot get tach signal from the coil on a modern engine. Here is a quote from a install site.

"The "new" style electronic ignition systems (aka "waste spark" systems )is whole different world. This system is computer controlled and basically uses three sensors ( 7 x Crankshaft position sensor, 24 x Crankshaft sensor and camshaft position sensor) to calculate engine rpm, when to fire the injector solenoids and how much to advance/retard spark among other things. So there really is no "tach wire" per se.

The three sensors typically are two "hall effect" and one "reluctance pickup" (the 7 X crank sensor which is the HEART of the system without which the engine will NOT start). So it probably is not a good idea to try to tap one of these signals to use as the tach signal. Probably the best way to "create" a tach wire is to pick off one of the fuel injector solenoid signals ( any one will do)right at the Power train control module ( aka "the computer"). This way there's no need to go through the firewall. However, you must be absolutely sure of the correct wire for as we know, a screwed up 'computer" replacement is huge bucks. Undoubtably, the best way to get it right is to have the actual service manual for the vehicle which will give the computer connector signals and pin outs. Basically, each injector solenoid has 2 wires. One wire is "common" ( the same color at each solenoid) and is tied to +12V through usually a 20 amp fuse labeled INJ/COIL in the fuse panel. Each individual other wire on each solenoid goes through the harness and back to the computer which switches (pulses) that wire to ground to activate the injector at a frequency proportional to engine RPM . So all you need to do is tie on to one of these wires ( identified by the service manual) and bingo, there's your "tach signal".

But like I said I got it at the plug at the firewall on the inside. If you need more help post on http://www.the12volt.com and these guys are experts and probably installed you exact system in an Aveo before.

Thanks

I will change it today, thank you.
      06' Aveo
      07' Liberty

What do you mean there's no turbo?
      Thanks

I just installed my remote start today, went better then I thought it would. It took about 3 hours to do but that was without power door locks and a factory keyless entry system so it was pretty easy. The instructions that came with mine said to tap the gray tach wire at the ECM. But when I removed the back cover of the connector, there were 5 or 6 gray wires and I didn't have access to service info to find out which one it was. So i just tapped the signal wire on the #4 injector. Now all I need is some actuators for power locks and i'll be all set.

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

any updates, i wana install one too, do i need a transponder (i have a 04 aveo, manual, with power everything)?

Its more fun to drive a slow car fast, rather than drive a fast car slow!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123