•  
    Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Coolant overheat...top hose....trouble......for 2006 models and up?

What do you mean there's no turbo? PoisonIvy's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by 05Aveo View Post
      so need to put some RTV around that before I set it in place then. Well that is cool then. Since you had a 05 what other things went out on it that I need to replace before I give it to my wife.
      From what I remember... timing belt, thermostat, rear bushings, plug wires - basically the ones I listed. But the previous owner did shocks, rotors, pads, manual tranny, tires. All under 100,000 miles. The timing belt and thermostat are the only things that can kill the car. Alot is maintenance.

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by FlaAveo5 View Post
      ... I had my coolant system powerflushed at my local Chevy dealer just months before, so that money was wasted. Threw out $225 away on that at Chevy. They never mentioned that this plastic part will probably burst one day. And maybe recommend I replace it? No. they dont do that. Could have saved a lot of money. And not wasted all that money on a powerflush....
      Now that right there is just really pathetic.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by PoisonIvy View Post
      From what I remember... timing belt, thermostat, rear bushings, plug wires - basically the ones I listed. But the previous owner did shocks, rotors, pads, manual tranny, tires. All under 100,000 miles. The timing belt and thermostat are the only things that can kill the car. Alot is maintenance.
      Ok good deal. I have that already as some of things I will replace. I found the thermostat housing at both O'rielly's and Auto Zone so should be a good build as soon as I figure the best place to pick up all my parts.

What do you mean there's no turbo? northguest47's Avatar
      Thanks
      just read this and wasn't there are TSB on the plastic thermostat waay back? Shouldn't anyone having their vehicle dealer serviced have had this replaced for free?

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Sounds like the typical Chevrolet dealership to me. All of the ones around here are so pathetic I quickly found out it wasn't worth while to take my car to the dealership even while it was under warranty.

For example, many if not most of the mechanics at the dealerships around here aren't even SAE certified.

Another example, when I did send the car to them via the wife I even told them what was wrong with the car and asked to make sure they had the parts in stock. After being told all of the parts were in stock, my wife took the day off of work in order to take the car in. After sitting for half of the day, she was informed they did not have the parts in stock and would have to bring it in again when they got the parts in stock. This happened two different times at different dealerships. It was a valve cover gasket and a axle shaft seal. Every NAPA dealer around here keeps those in stock. Wouldn't you think the dealer would have kept them in stock?

Another example, after the wife taking another day off of work to take the car in under warranty, the work was not done properly. After about a week to a month the valve cover was still leaking. I decided to do it myself. Turns out they hadn't even put on a new gasket at all. They just tried to dab some blue glue here and there which of course did not work and only made it leak worse. After about a month I noticed the axle seal was leaking again. I said forget it and just lived with it. When I eventually changed out the half axles (at 190,000) I replaced the seals myself. Turns out when they replaced the leaking seal they installed it improperly. It looked like instead of using a properly sized seal setting tool they just tried to beat it in with a hammer. It was all bent up and deformed.

Here is a real doozy, my wife took the day off of work and took it into one dealership to have the wheel bearings replaced under warranty. It was the local dealership about 3 miles from the house so she had the courtesy car drive her home. About 30-60 minutes later she said her car pulled into our driveway. They told her that one of the mechanics had quit that morning and they were now over-booked and would not be able to service her car that day. When I got home from work she told me what had happened. I thought that sounded awfully strange to me so I go out to inspect the car. Turns out there is now a new scuff and light dent down the side of the driver side rear door. We were pissed. My wife wanted to thow a fit but we knew it would be our word against their's.

I have figured out that the warranty on any of the GM cars in this area is useless except for major catastrophes. It is better and cheaper in the long run to do any repairs myself.

Last edited by milesvinson; 03-22-2014 at 10:34 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12