•  

Thread: Magnecor Ignition Wires!

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Magnecor Ignition Wires!

Magnecor Ignition Cable Set-8.5mm Chevrolet Aveo 04-08 - eBay (item 140421289197 end time Feb-21-11 17:44:37 PST)

I think a couple of people wanted to buy these?

I was interested in them but I dont think they would do much good....

What do you mean there's no turbo? paulsaveo's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by thehunterooo View Post
      Magnecor Ignition Cable Set-8.5mm Chevrolet Aveo 04-08 - eBay (item 140421289197 end time Feb-21-11 17:44:37 PST)

I think a couple of people wanted to buy these?

I was interested in them but I dont think they would do much good....
      they should offer more than just red, but at that price, it doesnt seem worthwhile to me

Timing belt broke, do I keep it? thehunterooo's Avatar
      Thanks
      thats how they were sold by this one guy before, they were about $100 and red, but people had trouble with him and never got the wires I think

now there is a way

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      I am still saving to get these wires. The main purpose for me is to reduce resistance in the wires and get the most possible voltage to the plug. As far as plugs go I have decided to go with the top of the line Bosch. I have used them before and found notable gains in mileage.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by Luke View Post
      I am still saving to get these wires. The main purpose for me is to reduce resistance in the wires and get the most possible voltage to the plug. As far as plugs go I have decided to go with the top of the line Bosch. I have used them before and found notable gains in mileage.
      Ohh if only it were that simple.

1. Spark plugs get an AC current through them and resistance does not work in the same way you think on AC current. Not only that, if you were to use non-resistor type plugs and wires, the engine wouldn't run.

2. The gains you saw using new spark plugs in gas mileage are only that. New plugs were better than old plugs. Performance of spark plugs degrade over time as the gap increases with each firing of the plug. Same goes for the cables.

3. Bigger plug wires really do have better current capacity than smaller gauge wire; can't deny that. But unless the ignition system is too powerful for the smaller wires, no gains will be had.

I'm not saying these wires are not worth getting. I don't know how much a set of OEM wires from GM cost, I imagine pretty close to that price point. My point is that unless the spark plugs and cables are worn, putting all new stuff in is a waste of time and money.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

What's wrong with my car?
      Thanks
      The [COLOR=red ! important][COLOR=red ! important][/COLOR][/COLOR]electrical resistance of a wire or circuit is a way of measuring the resistance to the flow of an electrical current be it AC or DC current. The larger the wire diameter and composition of the wire the less resistance. This being said; if you have a copper core spark plug wire you will have less resistance in the wire than say a carbon core wire but you will have more RF interference. The RF interference causes problems with today's computerized vehicles so we must use larger diameter carbon core wires.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      In AC, resistance is measured as Impedance (we'll call it Z). Z varies with the frequency (Hz) of the voltage. Therefore the resistance is never the same, depending on the frequency.

BUT,

The total resistance of the system can still be estimated. Since the total resistance of the system equals the sum of all the resistors in the system, and that the spark plug has a very high Ohm reading (actually, it's infinite since their is no physical connection between the electrode and ground).

Voltage = RI

Where V is the voltage drop across the spark plug, R = Z = total system impedance and I = current draw

1. We know that the Voltage drop is constant. It will always take the same voltage to cross the gap. Common OEM spark systems have voltages of 30kV and up. Therefore we will use that.

2. We know that the impedance of the complete system is a very high number because the spark plug gap is infinite Ohms because there is no electrical connection between the electrode and ground.

3. We want to find current, I.

We already see here that no matter what spark plug cable is used, some things are the same. The voltage required to cross the spark plug gap and the total system impedance.

Therefore the current running through the wires is about the same in all cases. Let's try to estimate it.

since I = V/R where V = 30 000 and I = 1 000 000 (infinity would just give us 0amps. 1million is pretty big.)

I = 0.003 amps.

Now, I don't know about you guys... But I know .003 amps doesn't require a very big conductor. headphone wires could do it. And because of the resistance of the spark plug, we don't have to worry about the resistance of the spark plug wires.

Oh, and just to add something from the manufacturer itself:

Lately, long established companies marketing reliable, efficient and powerful ignition systems have also become surprisingly reckless with claims for the generic ignition wires they include in their product line. For whatever reason, most ignition system marketers in the USA are obsessed with the notion that a "low-resistance" ignition wire line (with the marketer's name printed onto low-grade generic ignition cable) needs to be included as part of any ignition "package" sold through mass-merchandisers and speed shop outlets. Production vehicle manufacturers have also joined the frenzy.

Because of the fierce competition amongst aftermarket ignition system marketers selling branded generic "low-resistance" ignition wire lines through mass-merchandisers and speed shops, every marketer needs to find a reason (factual or otherwise) why their ignition wires are better than similar (and sometimes identical) wires offered by their competitors. Unfortunately for owners of late model vehicles (or earlier vehicles fitted with high-tech aftermarket electronic components), improved quality and adequate suppression is never a reason to be better, as no marketer sees justification in improving their ignition wire line without either exposing themselves to a financial loss, or jeopardizing their relationship with mass-merchandisers and some speed shops — because to do so (and remain profitable) the wholesale price of their ignition wires would rise substantially above those offered by their competitors.
      MAGNECOR Race Wires: Inside Information
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Call me cheap, but i dont see the reason in these when you can go on summit, or any other online store and get wire sets for a third of that price. My two cents, i could be wrong. And too bad they only come in one color.
      JR