•  

Thread: Snow damage Wipers . Antenna

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Snow damage Wipers . Antenna

Hello

If you live on the west coast you know that vancouver got a dumpload of snow....

I was away for 2 weeks and came back to find my car covered in snow up to the windows.... not to mention the couple of feet on the roof and hood..

Today I thought I would take some of it off as it is turning to Rain and now the snow is really heavy....

Well the antenna mast was bent all the way forward and is really messed up..

and the front wipers where in the home position and where now pointing down the front of the car....

I cant get into the car now as there is SO much Snow but i did remove all of the snow that could cause anymore damage but now i have some questions

1) The antenna
      I was reading the only way you can remove it is via the dome light ?

is this true for a 2005 and did anyone buy one from gm vs wreckers (price wise)
      http://www.trademotion.com/schematics/C/CN04125.gif

2) the Wipers

Should i try to bend them back ? turn them on ?
      take them off ?

Thanks!

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Snow damage Wipers . Antenna

i think to get the base off you need to unbolt it from inside the roof. but doesn't the antenna shaft come turn off?

i would take the wiper arms off in order to turn the wipers on to see if the actuators (dont know what to call them) turn properly, first mark them with paint, two colors, one set pointing where the wiper arms were pointing, the other where you think "home" should be. turn them on, let the cycle through for a while. do it a couple times. Then shut them off see where they return too and put the arms back on to see it they work. if they dont you might scratch the hood or something?

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

if the mount on the antenna is fine, you can just unscrew the top shaft.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Unless the 2 feet of snow was dumped on your car all at once, it's hard to imagine how it could have caused all that damage. I live in New England and have had a lot more than 2 feet of snow and ice on my car and have never seen any damage like that.

Did someone try to remove the snow for you and damage the car? Did a limb fall on the car? Vandals?

Maybe getting it fixed right will be covered by insurance if the damage was caused by something other than snow.

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

i have seen damage when someone leaves the snow and ice mix on a car too long it becomes hard like ice. then the weight of the sheet of ice is enough that when it starts to melt against the car it will rip small items off...

think of it as a glacier and an avalanche. the ice is coming down in one piece. and the antenna isn't going to break the ice or stop it.. so the antenna has to give. same goes with the wipers.

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Thanks

I did try to unscrew it but it Does not want to move.... I might try some tools but when i can move the car as it is totaly snowed in....

The wipers ill also have to take a closer at when i can get to the car...

We had alot of snow here...wet snow and it weights alot a Jeep cheorkee near my car had its rear wiper snap off so its not just me

Still love my daily driver
      Thanks

Sounds like the antenna is junk anyway so use a pliers to screw it off, then replace it with one from an HHR (shorter and same reception)

The wipers, I'd remove them and NOT try to turn them on at all.

Icelandic Blue with "LOW VEO" tags

http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2396518