•  

Thread: Adjustable Mirror Panel, I can't get it back on!

What's wrong with my car?
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Adjustable Mirror Panel, I can't get it back on!

Hello everyone,

I'm new to the forums and this is my first post. I had to replace the door speakers and last time I removed the door panels to check the old speakers I had so much trouble. This time my friend suggested I remove the mirror panels where the adjustment knobs are. Well it took a bit of force but they came off. But when I went to put the one back in on the passenger side it popped the little brackets through and they fell down between the metal and into the door. Now I can't put the panel back on, and I don't want to try the driver's side one until I know what I did wrong. Below are pictures of what I am talking about, the pictures are of the driver's door that still has the pieces in it.

Picture 01
      Picture 02

Picture 1 is of course the door, the red circles are around the pieces that are supposed to hold the panel but popped through on the other door. I went to the local auto parts stores but they don't carry anything even similar. Picture 2 is of the panel itself in case that would be useful. My only idea so far is to maybe get some flexible rubbery hose type of material and put in there instead, which will hold it in place, but also allow me to easily remove/replace it in the future.

Any ideas/suggestions on how to fix this?
      Kimberly

Lifetime owner
      Thanks

Re: Adjustable Mirror Panel, I can't get it back on!

you most likely broke those clips.. they are available from the dealer and aren't really expensive.
      the circle on the end of the shaft is what holds the triangle piece inside the clip.

you could try to rig something else up to work, but it most likely wont hold as well and might rattle.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

My driver side mirror panel fell off, one of those plastic inserts was missing so I took it back to the dealer and they installed a different plastic insert, unfortunately it was not a perfect fit and the panel fell off again, once it gets a bit warmer I am going to hot glue the new insert in place so it does not move around in the hole and hopefully that should hold the panel on.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks

I had the same problem and the dealer had the replacement ones in stock. not even 0.25 each. The trick to putting the panel back on is you put the black insert on the panel before and you shouldn't have any problems.

I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.