•  
    Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Aveo Rear 286mm Brake Disc Conversion

I'll keep it and add a turbo
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

Aveo Rear 286mm Brake Disc Conversion

Dear all,

I am in the progress of doing a rear brake conversion. Using 286mm rear brake disc and a single pot rear brake disc. I will post more pictures as the progress goes.

Basically, the ABS will not be affected, as I will be using back the drum brake cover (which is the outer piece which the brake shoe rub on). It consists of the center hub, 4 X 100 studs for the rims, bearing, and a ring gear which works with the magnetic ABS sensor. I will cut away the whole outer drum part, only leaving the center hub part to reduce weight and also I need the center part consisting of the ring gear for the ABS to work as per normal. I only need the center hub, the bearing, the ring gear and the 4 studs. I will also be changing the 4 studs to longer one to accomodate a 10mm spacer so that my wheels come flush with the wheel arch instead of hiding inside the arch.

The cutted hub (drum brake cover) looked like this. The ring gear is supposed to be inside the drum brake facing the center of the car. The 4 studs is facing outwards towards the rims. The studs are under the hub in the picture. So it cannot be seen. The wheel hub is actually standing on the 4 stud in the picture.

The left is the 286mm rear brake disc I am using. The right is the 245mm original aveo front brake disc.

This is our original rear brake bracket (thickness 8mm) which is welded onto the rear arms. Have to dig out this piece to replace with another piece which is longer to mount the brake caliper. The 4 holes are for the hub. The one extra big hole is for the ABS sensor which will go through this metal brake, go through the drum brake and sense the ring gear on the hub. If this piece is not removed or digged out, the ABS sensor is not long enough to reach the ring gear with an added bracket (thickness 8mm).

After its digged out.

Customised bracket. This is before trimming. After the mounting of caliper is confirm, this will be trimmed to be smaller piece.

When its put on. I do not intend to weld it like the original bracket. Most vehicle's bracket are not welded. The cutted hub is supposed to be slotted into this center stem, with the ring gear nearer to the bracket. The ABS sensor will sense the ring gear through the hole you see. The big hole is for sensor to pass through. The smaller hole is the ABS mounting or securing screw.

Original drum brake assembly which is supposed to sit on the original bracket. Look at the drum shoes after 90,000km and 4 years usage. Still have 1mm left thickness for the thinner side (right side). Quite lasting I would say.

Will post more tomorrow or the day after. Do check back if you are interested.

2. The Following User Says Thank You to xiaogary For This Useful Post:

bryveo (05-21-2020)

Almost time to do my timing belt
      Thanks

Re: Aveo Rear 286mm Brake Disc Conversion

are you doing anything with the front? they do do more of the braking

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by AVE0SAM
      are you doing anything with the front? they do do more of the braking
      Yes. Using front 303mm with forged lightweight 6 pot caliper. The disc are 2 piece removable (from center hub) with ventilated holes and steel braided goodridge hose. Brand is vttr.

Almost time to do my timing belt NYChevoo's Avatar
      Thanks

wow!! this is gonna be exciting!! i cant wait to see the outcome!! post pics!!
      Missing our beloved 1st gen Aveos everyday!
      Silence is golden. Duct tape is silver!!
      04 Aveo (mine gone but never forgotten)
      07 Aveo 5 (wifes car gone but never forgotten)
      02 Suburban (Eats gas stations as snacks)
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT
      (46mpg daily? Holy crap!)
      12 Sonic 2LT (Wifeys new wheels)

Chevoo-1/2 Chevy, 1/2 Daewoo. I mean like WTF?

Timing belt broke, do I keep it?
      Thanks

if u were in america, id hug u for doing this.

im straight.
      You can not commit crimes in a Aveo. Its just not fast enough.

Thanks

HUGS ARE BETTER THAN DRUGS!! THATS UNLESS OF COURSE YOU JUST SEVERED YOUR LEG!!
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT

Thanks

Hi

My handphone went out of battery, so was unable to take some pictures missing in the process. But anyway, the brake bracket and the ABS Hub is the most important part and I am glad I had snapped them to share with you guys/gals. What was missed was the piece of bracket with an additional 2 holes to mount the caliper and also the trimming of it to be smaller and lighter and more beautiful (hidden when view from under the car and outside the rim).

I went on to spray the center of the brake disc black also. As you can see, the brake caliper is only utilising part of the disc near the outer diameter, the center part was sprayed matt black.

The caliper and blue vttr brake pad was sprayed bronze to match the color of my front caliper. But realised the color is not very nice. Might spray to another color next few days. But not yet decided what color. Any suggestion which color will look great?

The 286mm EG6 caliper + VTTR rear disc brake looks small in my 17 inch OZ rims.

Thanks

Some pictures of my front brake. Its pretty straight forward. Just have a extension bracket to extend the caliper mounting out for bigger disc clearence to fit the 303 mm disc.

Thanks

OMG!!! thats really incredible!! ok, whos gonna start making low cost rear disc brake conversion kits?
      12 Cruze Eco 6MT

Thanks

My rear brake kit cost me about $800US with reconditioned brake caliper, brake piston and o ring seal, new steel braided hose, new VTTR 286mm disc slotted disc, new VTTR brake pads, customised bracket. Is it cheap? Anyone interested? I may be able to ship out a few sets for plug and play application. Lol...

You only need to dig out that old piece of bracket. The new one ned not be welded. It can just hang there secured with the 4 nuts like mine. I will ship them out with the brackets ready with all the holes for direct use.

You also need to send your brake cover for machining. Cut off the outer part, leaving only the center like what I shown in the picture.

Then you are ready to enjoy the tremendous increase in breaking power.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast