•  

Thread: Brake dust???

Should I keep it?
      Thanks

Brake dust???

Firestone told my wife that her rear brakes on her 2008 Aveo should be cleaned of dust and adjusted. Is this right? I have never heard of that. Also, my wife is a nurse and it has been bitterly cold here in the midwest. I told her to take along her spare keys, let the Aveo run and then lock it up with the spare set before going into a patients home and her car would be warm for her when she comes back out. Well, she tried it but the doors will not lock with it running. Is there a way to get around this???

Thanks in advance

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      I can lock my '08 Wave with it running only if I manually turn the lock with the key - the remote appears to be locked out when there is a key in the ignition.

I'll keep it and add a turbo thankful_ragamuffin's Avatar
      Thanks
      Don't know if it is right, but it is possible. If you have had no issues with the brakes, no noises and good stopping operation, then it is not likely. If there has been noises and erratic operation, could be true. The job is not big. Lift the car, pull the wheels, remove the drums and knock out the dust. Reassemble and adjust the brake as needed. Gives you a chance to inspect the shoes and other brake components. Measure the drums at the same time to make sure they are within spec. Easy DIY project. As an aside, my brakes have been trouble free and never apart in 166,000 km (100,000 miles) - almost all highway with a 5 speed manual. Get a second opinion at another shop.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Thanks for the idea to try. I never would of thunk it............lol

Quote Originally Posted by thankful_ragamuffin View Post
      I can lock my '08 Wave with it running only if I manually turn the lock with the key - the remote appears to be locked out when there is a key in the ignition.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well, I never heard of such a thing. The brakes work great and no noise. My wife is in very good tune with her Aveo. She will tell me every little squeak or clatter that car makes. I think it was just a way to get into my wallet deeper. Thanks for your opinion

Don't know if it is right, but it is possible. If you have had no issues with the brakes, no noises and good stopping operation, then it is not likely. If there has been noises and erratic operation, could be true. The job is not big. Lift the car, pull the wheels, remove the drums and knock out the dust. Reassemble and adjust the brake as needed. Gives you a chance to inspect the shoes and other brake components. Measure the drums at the same time to make sure they are within spec. Easy DIY project. As an aside, my brakes have been trouble free and never apart in 166,000 km (100,000 miles) - almost all highway with a 5 speed manual. Get a second opinion at another shop.

Should I keep it?
      Thanks
      Well, I'll be dipped........locking the door manually with the extra key while it is still running worked. Thanks, thankful_ragamuffin . And all of you people in the forum are awesome