•  
    Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FT: Cut springs

Still love my daily driver
      Garage empty: add car
      Thanks

FT: Cut springs

Hello,

I am getting some H&R's (if they ever get here) and would like to trade my stock cut springs for some stock springs plus $50. I know not everyone is able to cut springs so thought this could be a good trade for somoene. I cut one full coil front and rear so it does seat nicely. The back is a little lower than the front so I would probably cut one more from the front to give it a better stance. If someone wanted, I can even cut a total of 3 front and 2 rear which will make the front a little lower than the back and bring the car down quite well.

Anyone interested? I know there is the one with 3 coils cut front and rear and it sits very low and looks pretty damn good.

If you are in Vegas or comeing to vegas, I'll trade you for $30. Or for $100 I'll even install them.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      not a good idea to use cut springs.......can be very dangerous......

Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      not a good idea to use cut springs.......can be very dangerous......
      dangerous? explain please before i go get coils taken off of mine

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      The only thing dangerous about it is:

1. If you use torch, you are modifying the springs molecular arrangements, making it weaker.

2. Spring will be have the same rigidity as the stock piece, might bottom out easily.

If I missed something please elaborate.
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Thanks
      On most cars if you cut the springs they will not seat properly. Well the aveo springs only taper on one side, NOT both. That said if you cut straight down you will have no ill side effects.

I got the H&R's in today and wow, much better. If I cut one more coil out of the front totaling 2 front and 1 rear, that would give the same height as the H&R's. If I cut 3 total front and 2 total rear the ride should sit very nice. Similar to the one that has 3 cut front and rear but just a little more hieght in the rear.

This is good for someone who wants a soft ride but a low car.

P.S. If I was a grumpy person, I would smack you through the computer for saying such a blanket (albiet usually true) statement. Please research the spring design and follow that up with road testing (I have had them for 20k) prior to making any more blanket statements.

Almost time to do my timing belt ontarian_frog's Avatar
      Thanks
      just so I'm not confused, who are you talking to?
      I leased Pontiac Wave from September 2006 to August 2011.

Still love my daily driver Nemasys's Avatar
      Thanks
      i have the apex coils and i cut 2 off each of them, been running it for about a year, car has 80 000 km and the stock shocks are still fine (that kinda surprises me since its been lowered for just over 2 years) the ride is firm, some roads are a real pain but i like it, it corners like crazy
      > 2010 Mazdaspeed 3
      - Fully built, GT35R, 500+ whp

> 2004 Hatchback 2.0L Turbocharged [RETIRED]
      - T3/T4 T04E .60 A/R Compressor
      - HKS SSQV, OBX Wastegate
      - FMIC with 2.5" piping
      - Tuned with Megasquirt II v3.57

Thanks
      most of my reply was to khan. As for riding around on cut springs and 80000km with the shocks/struts still good I seriously doubt that. When I cut mine at 10000miles the front struts were ok but the rear shocks were gone. Last night the fronts were equally gone, one couldnt even hold its own weight. The car only has about 35,000 miles

KYB needs to make some front struts.

Still love my daily driver khan4rtist's Avatar
      Thanks
      if you cut your stock springs, your ride will be crap, you will loose your spring rate and your shocks not too soon there after if you dont cut them right. basically your car will be held up by your shock. i always thought that cutting stock springs was for ricers any ways. save your money and buy some h&rs or something and get a real drop, you can cut those but make sure you have the right shocks that can support it, and in our situation theres not, so just dont cut them too much. Personally, i think cutting spings is right up there with paper mache body kits and leaf blower turbos......

Thanks
      Quote Originally Posted by khan4rtist
      if you cut your stock springs, your ride will be crap, you will loose your spring rate and your shocks not too soon there after if you dont cut them right. basically your car will be held up by your shock. i always thought that cutting stock springs was for ricers any ways. save your money and buy some h&rs or something and get a real drop, you can cut those but make sure you have the right shocks that can support it, and in our situation theres not, so just dont cut them too much. Personally, i think cutting spings is right up there with paper mache body kits and leaf blower turbos......
      I Agree if you cut them you Mess you're ride up realllllllllllllll good. and the ride on the road is not as smooth as i would like it so i think air ride would be better. rather then cut springs

You did WHAT? to your Aveo? HAHAHAHAHA

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast